A main line leak in your sprinkler system is unlikely but can cost you hundreds of dollars, waste water and damage your property. Save money and avoid a service call by following these directions yourself to detect a leak in your sprinkler system mainline before calling in the professionals.
Detecting A Leak In Your Irrigation System Main Line
With Drip Indicator
Most water meters have a drip indicator on them. This would appear to be a small red triangle or a small red flat bar on your meter.
1. If the red indicator isn’t moving, go to the nearest faucet and turn it so that the faucet drips. Go back and check the indicator. What is now moving is the drip indicator. When there’s no water running and the drip indicator is moving, this tells you there is a leak somewhere.
2. Shut the sprinkler valve OFF (see below instructions on how to turn valve off) and check the indicator again. If the indicator stops then there is probably a leak in your sprinkler system. Call our Professional Irrigation Team at 815-230-1289. If the indicator doesn’t stop, there is a leak elsewhere and should be checked out by a plumber.
Without a Drip Indicator
1. On the top of the water meter, there is a series of numbers. Write down all the numbers.
2. DO NOT use any water for about 4-8 hours. (It is easiest to do this when you will be out of the house for the day) Remember to turn off ice machines and water dispensers in the refrigerator.
3. Recheck the numbers. If the numbers have increased there could be a potential leak.
4. Turn your sprinkler valve OFF (see below for instructions on how to turn valve off) and write down the new numbers.
5. DO NOT use any water for about 4-8 hours Remember to turn off ice machines and water dispensers in the refrigerator.
6. Recheck the numbers again. If the numbers have changed the leak is NOT your sprinkler system but elsewhere in your home and should be checked out by a plumber. If the numbers have not changed then there is probably a leak in your sprinkler system. Call our Professional Irrigation Team at 815-230-1289.
How to Turn the Main Sprinkler Valve On and Off
1. Locate the Sprinkler Valve. The sprinkler valve is normally located near the water meter, which is usually in the basement. If you are a Spring-Green customer there will be a green or orange tag hanging on the pipe.
2. Look at the picture below to see if your Main Sprinkler Valve is ON or OFF position.
It’s in the ON position when it’s in line with the pipe.
It’s in the OFF position when it makes a “T” or goes across the pipe.
Read other irrigation system maintenance and repair tips you can do yourself, or give your professional irrigation team a call at 815-230-1289 to make sure your sprinkler system is working properly.